Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Re-purposing

Some of you may remember about a year and a half ago I re-purposed some jeans into skirts (click HERE for a refresher). Around that time I bought a pair of overalls at a garage sale. I was thinking I could turn them into a cute jumper kinda like I had with the skirts. They sat in my sewing room for quite some time before I finally got around to working on them, but I did eventually turn them into a jumper. However, it just didn't turn out right. I ripped seams and cut fabric and tried several different things, but I just couldn't get it to hang right. So I finally just gave up and stuffed it away in my sewing room to work on at another time or to do something else with.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I started thinking about making a new apron for myself, but I couldn't find a pattern I liked. I was contemplating just making something up, when I remembered that failed overall jumper. It occurred to me that I could probably turn it into an apron or two. Well, this week, I finally sat down and did just that.

I managed to get, not one....

Not two...

But three aprons out of it! (*And I probably could get one more half apron, but it's from the piece that wasn't working for me with the jumper and I just don't want to mess with it right now!)

So anyway, here they are:

This is from the front of the overalls. I cut the buttons off the top and added a fabric panel to attach the straps to. I also added a flounce and a couple more pockets. I left the original side pockets intact. I was figuring this would be a great one for wearing while cleaning so that little things I pick-up can get put in a pocket. The pockets are also great for clothes pins =)


This one was the back of the overalls. Again I added a flounce and a top panel. I did the upper straps a little different and I'm not sure yet if it's going to work. I'm thinking they may slid down off my shoulders, so I may have to come up with something different. But we'll see =)




This one was super easy! I just added the waist panel and straps and two pockets. The pockets on this one are more for looks, they aren't incredibly functional. =)

So there you have it. It was a super fun and easy project and I now have three new aprons! The best part is, the overalls only cost $2 and all the fabric was leftover from other projects!

Blessings,
Photobucket

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rebeca said...

How fun! I can't tell you how happy I am to recognize some of those fabrics being put to such good use!

Susan said...

Totally cute!

colby, meredith, and caden said...

Love the first apron. I wish I could sew.

 
Background Papers and Embellishments Created by Marie Stones