Friday, October 2, 2009

Homemade Mac and Cheese

This is my fall back recipe for potlucks. It's easy to make, I usually have all the ingredients on hand and everyone loves it! I've had several people ask me for the recipe lately, so I figured I'd just post it here. Note: I don't always measure everything, so some of the amounts may need to be adjusted :o)

Mac & Cheese:

Approx. 2 cups Macaroni noodles
1/4 cup butter (or oil)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk (I use reconstituted instant milk)
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp pepper (I suppose white is best, but I never have it, so I use black)
1 tsp mustard powder
1 to 2 cups shredded cheese (I just add handfuls till it tastes right! I think sharp works best, but you can use whatever you like)
Bread crumbs, optional.

1. Cook and drain the noodles.
2. Heat butter in a sauce pan over med. heat. Whisk in flour, making sure there are no lumps.
3. Slowly add milk while whisking. Bring mixture up to a boil. It will thicken as it boils. KEEP WHISKING or it will burn.
4. When it thickens, turn the heat down and add salt, pepper, mustard and cheese to taste.
5. Mix with the noodles and place in an 8X8 baking dish.
6. Top with extra cheese and bread crumbs if desired.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes.
8. Enjoy!

I usually double this recipe if I'm taking it to a potluck. I will also sometimes use different noodles. I like to use ziti noodles when I have them (if I'm sharing the dish) because I think it makes the dish look more "elegant" :o).

For more recipes, head over to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

Blessings,

Glennda

No comments:

 
Background Papers and Embellishments Created by Marie Stones